From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Graphics2D implementations (was: Release coordination in XML Graphics)
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:37:33 GMT

On 13.04.2006 16:19:08 Peter West wrote:
<snip/>
> > The Transcoders use the Graphics2D implementations to render the basic
> > graphic elements. Special elements like links, text and more can
> > optionally handled using special "bridge" classes (SVG/Batik-specific).
> >
> Text which uses either the base14 or embedded fonts seems to be
> rendering without invoking the bridge classes.  In general, text should
> be able to be rendered through Graphics2D.  For the base14 fonts, some
> extra work is required, but for fonts which are being embedded, the
> bridge should not be required, should it? In fact, for base14, it is
> only the co-ordination with the font configuration that's required,
> isn't it?

Not quite. All text from Batik is normally painted by internally
converting it to shapes. This is done using the fonts that are available
to the Java2D subsystem and has nothing to do with font configuration
provided by FOP.

Only when we register a bridge class for text painting can we select
simple-enough text elements that we can paint using native operators.
Only in this case will base 14 fonts (or configured fonts - the
PDFTextPainter doesn't really care) be used. That's when our own font
system kicks in.

<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki