From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache XML Graphics Commons 1.0 and Apache FOP 0.92beta
Date Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:54:46 GMT
+1 from me, obviously.

I'm not sure if it will really be the Easter weekend. It depends on the
weather. :-) Help on updating the FOP website and the distribution
mirror (FOP and setting up Commons) is welcome. I count on Andreas
handling the announcements after the release. Thanks! :-) So, any
volunteer please get to me so I can coordinate. Last time, Christian and
I were coordinating the end-game (release build, upload, verify) through
IM (Skype preferred) which was very helpful. My IM coordinates are on my
website.

On 12.04.2006 13:44:36 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> (no replies to fop-dev as usual, vote happens on general@xmlgraphics)
>
> I'd like to start a vote on releasing:
>
> Apache XML Graphics Commons 1.0 from the following branch:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/commons/branches/commons-1_0
>
> and Apache FOP 0.92beta from the following branch:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/xmlgraphics/fop/branches/fop-0_92
>
> Commons:
> The code is stable and does its job for Apache FOP. I cannot tell for
> Batik, yet, but that shoudn't be an issue right now as Batik doesn't use
> the code, yet. In order to release FOP we need to release Commons. There
> are no known IP problems with the code in Commons AFAICT. The build is
> properly set up including a distribution build. What's left to be done
> is some last-minute testing and optionally improving the website a
> little. I've set up a first version for a release checklist:
> http://wiki.apache.org/xmlgraphics/Commons/ReleaseChecklist
>
> FOP:
> It's high time we do this. The code is stable and the known issues are
> well documented. It's the first release that uses Commons and it has the
> finalized API. From my POV, the latter is the only reason for the "beta"
> tag. I think we need to make sure with another feedback cycle that our
> decisions there were good. Otherwise, I consider FOP production-worthy
> for PDF and PS output and for most use cases. IMO, the next release
> after 0.92beta should be a 1.0 but that's a discussion for later. AFAICT
> there are no known IP problems. All non-ALv2-licensed files are properly
> tagged. We've been very strict following the CLA rules. What's left is
> the usual batch of last-minute changes for the documentation plus
> replacing the xmlgraphics-commons-snapshot.jar with the released version
> as soon as it's done. That also means that Commons needs to be released
> first. Release checklist:
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/dev/release.html
>

> Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki