From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: Mailing list for voting new committers
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:52:01 GMT

On 29.08.2005 18:08:59 Christian Geisert wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki schrieb:
>
> [..]
>
> > I was approached off-line and made aware of a mistake I made with this
> > statement. I'd like to correct myself:
> >
> > I fully agree that prior to a committer vote a discussion should be held
> > inside the PMC to avoid any very negative effects of a premature vote.
> > However, the person who wrote to me quite correctly pointed out that the
> > committers of a subproject who are not on the PMC would effectively
> > lose their voting rights in this area, were the committer vote to be
> > held in the PMC.
>
> And I thought committers are voted by the PMC. Oh well ...

No, not according to our project charter. See section 8.2:

http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/charter.html

I was quite careless in my initial reply.

> [..]
>
> > So what does this mean for the topic at hand? I think it means that we
> > should still consider holding the committer votes on the public dev list
> > but only after the PMC has decided that it's good idea to hold the vote.
> > Any justified -1 on such a vote by a non-PMC-member will not be
> > overruled as they probably have valid concerns. But in the favor of the
> > project and especially of the person who is voted on such vetoes should
> > be confided to the private PMC list before bringing them to the public.
>
> But it would still cause a public veto (or would the vote be cancelled?)

I can happen if the whole of the PMC overlooked something. Otherwise,
this really shouldn't happen if a committer who is not on the PMC and
has problems with the nomination comes to the PMC first (via the PMC
list).

Jeremias Maerki