From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: Mailing list for voting new committers
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2005 06:22:09 GMT

On 24.08.2005 02:35:46 Christian Geisert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the past votes for new FOP committers happened on fop-dev and for
> Batik (I think) they were held in private.

I think you meant "in public", right?. They were actually held in public
with all the negative consequences like -1s being cast out and later
converted to a different vote. That results in a not so warm welcome for
new committers.

> A discussion on general@incubator some weeks ago concerning the voting
> procedure for new committers [1],[2] led me to the conclusion that we
> should discuss and vote new committers on the pmc list.
>
> What do you think?

I fully agree.

BTW, this leads me to another little detail I caught during ApacheCon
when someone (I think it was Noel Bergman) said that only PMC members
get binding votes on project decisions. That's because the PMC is
responsible for the project and not the committers. That's also the
reason why for certain Apache projects (like HTTPD) the set of
committers is almost the same as the set of PMC members.

Jeremias Maerki
(with at least partly the PMC chair hat on)