From Cameron McCormack <...@mcc.id.au>
Subject Re: XML Graphics Commons: last call
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2005 12:22:14 GMT
Jeremias Maerki:
> That's one possibility but people have a hard time understanding what is
> in which of the batik JARs. Like FOP, Batik is a big blob of code. What
> I intend with the split is to make it easier and (more importantly) less
> overwhelming for newbies to start working on certain parts. FOP is scary
> and so is Batik. Experience shows that despite a clean package structure,
> people still don't find their way. I don't say that my proposal will
> definitely solve that problem but I suspect it might help. At any rate,
> this is an aspect that we need to take very seriously. Batik (even more
> than FOP) needs to attract new contributors. What happens if you and/or
> Cameron suddenly go inactive? There's no one left. Project dies. (Sorry,
> my PMC hat shows here)

One thing I would like is a detailed description of the structure of
Batik, how all the classes interact and so on.  I remember when I was
originally trying to understand how Batik worked, it took me quite a
while.  And even when I thought I had understood some of it, there was
still plenty I wasn't exactly clear about.  I'd like to write such a
document when I get some time.  Perhaps early next year.

--
  e-mail : cam (at) mcc.id.au    	icq : 26955922
     web : http://mcc.id.au/	        msn : cam-msn (at) aka.mcc.id.au