From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: XML Graphics Commons: last call
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:20:17 GMT

On 08.08.2005 22:31:09 J.Pietschmann wrote:
> The Web Maestro wrote:
>
> Thanks for providing me with a hook into the thread!
>
> My 2c to the proposal:
> 1. Its not all that clear to me whether xmlgraphics
> commons is for commonly used tool, libraries or both.

Primarily, it should be a set of libraries. PFMReader and TTFReader will
be inevitable tools at the beginning but I don't think it should be a
place for tools. Tools should get their own subproject. I've updated the
Wiki page to try to make that clearer. BTW, what's a "tool"? Is that a
class with a main() method?

> 2. Seeing Avalon as dependency makes me uneasy. I'd prefer
> commons code to be refactored to not using Avalon and to
> provide raw functionality only.

Everybody always complains about that little library. What's the problem?
We're not going to do Avalonization anymore. But the configuration
subpackage in A-F is a perfect (!) little tool and a LOT smaller than
Jakarta Commons Configuration. If anything, those who have a problem
with A-F should propose a viable alternative (I haven't seen one, yet)
or work with the Excalibur guys to extract the configuration subpackage
into a stand-alone lib.

Jeremias Maerki