From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release of Batik 1.6
Date Sun, 03 Apr 2005 13:12:55 GMT

On 03.04.2005 14:52:48 Thomas DeWeese wrote:
> Hi Jeremias,
>
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
<snip/>
> > Rhino: Now this is interesting. Cocoon uses Rhino-1.6R1 and claims it is
> > distributed under the MPL 1.1 but when I download either 1.6R1 or
> > 1.5R4.1 (the one Batik uses according to the license file) then I see a
> > reference to NPL 1.1 for both.  The website says the same [1]. I found a
> > post by Greg Stein from Jan 2004 (on the discontinued licensing mailing
> > list) that NPL and MPL 1.0 are not ok, while MPL 1.1 is ok. Anyway, I
> > don't see this as a showstopper for the release as we're not doing
> > anything else than Cocoon. But I want to get this clarified.
>
>     Are there four licenses NPL 1.0, MPL 1.0 (both not OK),
> NPL 1.1 (unknown status), MPL 1.1 (is OK) or was there a typo
> above?

I was talking about the NPL in general. I was not referring to a
specific version. Greg Stein's post also didn't mention a version number
for the NPL. So, not really a typo but a possible cause for
misunderstanding.

>     Also you say this isn't a show stopper but you want to get it
> clarified.  Does this mean that as far as you are concerned I can
> go ahead, or should I wait on the clarification?

If you want, you can wait. But I'd say you don't have to. If we have a
problem here, then Cocoon has, too.

> > One question: Is the pdf-transcoder.jar revision 1.9 [2] the one you
> > created from the "batik-1_6" tag in FOP? I can't be sure from the log
> > entry.
>
>     Yes, it is, I forgot to include it in the log message (I would
> have updated the log entry if we were using SVN ;).

*g* Thanks for the clarification.

> > Lastly, I'd have preferred that the final vote only ran on batik-dev
> > (for the Batik committers) and xmlgraphics-general (for the PMC).
> > There's a bit too much noise ATM.
>
>     Do I really need to run another vote on batik-dev?  Cameron
> has already given his +1 twice.  BTW the mod-box doesn't seem to
> be collecting mails for April...

No, but CCing batik-dev so everyone knows that the PMC is voting on the
release is generally a good idea, although not strictly necessary.
Cameron's vote, in any case, wasn't necessary.

Jeremias Maerki