From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: Code reorganization
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:35:35 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

>>You seemed to hint that there were Batik dependencies in these
>>classes do you know what they are?
>
> Mainly applyPaint() which uses Batik-specific subclasses of the AWT
> Paint class. That means the basic Graphics2D implementation would have
> to be either subclassed or, better, extended so you can plug in support
> for these paints because both the Commons part and the Batik part would
> otherwise have a special subclass for the DocumentGraphics2D
> functionality. But I think that's an easy thing to do. About an hour of
> work.

    The gradient classes should be able to move out of Batik
(There might be some dependencies on other batik.ext.awt
that might be a little iky, I'll have to look).  The Pattern
class can't move as easily (references into to GVT etc).  However,
we might consider publishing an interface for 'pattern paints'
that our pattern paint could implement.

    This would be nice because then people would be able to
generate complex fills in PDF without having to muck with Batik.

>>Just to give you an idea the only code I'm looking to transfer
>>to Batik (roughly for PDF) is:
>>
>>PDFImageElementBridge.java, PDFTextElementBridge.java
>>PDFTextPainter.java, PDFTranscoder.java, SVGUserAgent.java
>>FOPSAXSVGDocumentFactory.java, PDFAElementBridge.java, PDFANode.jav
>
> You left off the AbstractFOPTranscoder and the PostScript classes
> (org.apache.fop.render.ps).

    Sure, I wasn't trying to give the complete list (which is why I
said 'roughly for PDF').

> You want the EPS output support, too, right? :-)

    I don't know that anyone has ever asked for it, but if it comes
for free (or nearly so) sure.