From Web Maestro Clay <webmaes...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Opinion poll
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:21:47 GMT
On Mar 7, 2005, at 5:52 AM, Chris Bowditch wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>> I'd like to push the XML Graphics Commons idea again and therefore
>> would
>> like to know what people think.
>> 1. I think there's noone around opposing the idea of creating the
>> common
>> area and making the transcoders in FOP available to the Batik team, is
>> there?
>
> Fine with me.

Fine with me, assuming we have a clear plan on how to resolve the
technical issues.

While we're at it, are there any other items which can go into
xmlgraphics-commons.jar?

>> 2. Do you prefer the transfer of the transcoders to the Batik
>> subproject
>> as Thomas suggested or do you think that the transcoders should be in
>> separate area that is easily accessible by both teams? Or is that
>> particular question not so important for you?
>
> I think Transcoders should be accessible to both sets of committers.
> So therefore in their own separate area. I seem to remember from
> previous discussions that this was difficult to achieve for technical
> reasons.

My concern is that if we move files, then someone will have to download
the Batik & FOP binaries and/or source. If that's the case, then why
not just merge FOP and BATIK (FATIK? BOP? ;-)). It doesn't matter much
to me, as long as it's clear, simple and serves an established, agreed
upon purpose.

>> 3. Would you be opposed to converting Batik and FOP to Subversion in
>> preparation for the creation of the common area? This would preserve
>> all
>> history of the individual classes. Time frame: within 1 month from
>> now.
>> It seems to me that the infrastructure have succeeded in making
>> Subversion stable now.
>
> I havent yet checked to see if there is an easy to use Windows client
> available.
>
> Chris

Mac OS X GUI (Finder-level) interface: SCPlugin
http://scplugin.tigris.org/
(missing some features--like MOVE, COPY--but very convenient!)

Windows GUI (Windows Explorer-level) interface: TortoiseSVN:
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

Web Maestro Clay
--
<webmaestro@mac.com> - <http://homepage.mac.com/webmaestro/>