From Thomas DeWeese <Thomas.DeWe...@Kodak.com>
Subject Re: SVN repository set up
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2005 14:31:10 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> BTW, for those not listening into the infrastructure mailing list: There
> is a certain pressure building that PMCs start thinking about creating a
> plan (!) to migrate to Subversion. They want to eventually shut off CVS
> to get rid of the necessity for shell accounts for committers. This
> won't happen within the next 12 months, though, but we also need to
> start thinking about it.

    Actually it is proposed to happen in < 11 months (Jan 1, 2006).

    My biggest concern is the lack of an equivalent to
cvswrappers.  At least in Batik we have a large number of
"binary" files - reference/asset images.  It doesn't appear
that in SVN you can have them automatically treated as binary
you must manually update the SVN properties for each file.

    This isn't a huge issue for the initial import but it means that
whenever a new file is added the committer must remember to tag
it as binary - which in my experience won't happen 75% of the
time. :(

    I'll also have to update our nightly source dist script to
work with SVN.