From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: SVN repository set up
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:26:50 GMT
Yes, we can keep our tags along with the full history. Actually, it may
be a good idea to do the separation of common components from Batik and
FOP after the migration to SVN. That way we can retain full history
through the move of the classes from one subproject to the other. That
implicitly means I'd love to do the migration to SVN rather sooner than
later. :-)

I don't think migration to SVN is a big thing for FOP. For Batik it may
be more of an issue. I don't know the details about the scripts Thomas
mentioned. The actual migration will be done for us. We simply have to
do a new checkout of the sources and document the new location of the
sources. I don't think there's much more to do.

Anyway, I'd certainly like to wait at least a month or two before I
would want to consider a migration to Subversion. There have been too
many "SVN does not work" messages on infrastructure@ lately. The problem
seems to be under control now but still....

PS: Glen, please subscribe to general@xmlgraphics.apache.org. :-)

On 10.02.2005 15:38:04 Glen Mazza wrote:
> --- Jeremias Maerki <dev.jeremias@greenmail.ch> wrote:
> >
> > BTW, for those not listening into the infrastructure
> > mailing list: There
> > is a certain pressure building that PMCs start
> > thinking about creating a
> > plan (!) to migrate to Subversion. They want to
> > eventually shut off CVS
> > to get rid of the necessity for shell accounts for
> > committers. This
> > won't happen within the next 12 months, though, but
> > we also need to
> > start thinking about it.
> >

> +0.  I don't have a problem with it, but it may be a
> lot of work.  (Can we still keep our main tags for
> maintenance 0.20.5, 0.20.4, etc. and HEAD?)  From what
> I understand it is easier to revert changes across
> multiple files in Subversion compared to CVS, so I
> like that safety aspect to it.

Jeremias Maerki