From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: SVN repository set up
Date Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:15:58 GMT

On 10.02.2005 15:31:10 Thomas DeWeese wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>
> > BTW, for those not listening into the infrastructure mailing list: There
> > is a certain pressure building that PMCs start thinking about creating a
> > plan (!) to migrate to Subversion. They want to eventually shut off CVS
> > to get rid of the necessity for shell accounts for committers. This
> > won't happen within the next 12 months, though, but we also need to
> > start thinking about it.
>
>     Actually it is proposed to happen in < 11 months (Jan 1, 2006).

I know. But given some people's resistance against SVN I guess it will
take longer than that.

>     My biggest concern is the lack of an equivalent to
> cvswrappers.  At least in Batik we have a large number of
> "binary" files - reference/asset images.  It doesn't appear
> that in SVN you can have them automatically treated as binary
> you must manually update the SVN properties for each file.
>
>     This isn't a huge issue for the initial import but it means that
> whenever a new file is added the committer must remember to tag
> it as binary - which in my experience won't happen 75% of the
> time. :(

I don't think this will be a problem. I found that Subversion is
surprisingly reliable in this regard and will handle most files
correctly without intervention.

>     I'll also have to update our nightly source dist script to
> work with SVN.

Yup, but that won't be a big issue, either.

Jeremias Maerki