From Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Default XSL Stylesheet for PDF?
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:09:11 GMT
On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 4:34 AM,  <flattr.tomschr@online.ms> wrote:
> Hi Jeffrey,
>
> p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
> On Tuesday 25 October 2011 Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> [...]
>> > If you were curious the -xml input is used in conjunction with an XSLT
>> > (thus the -xsl parameter) to transform said XML file to FO. There is
>> > no "default" PDF stylesheet, this mechanism is merely a helper since a
>> > lot of users create FO using a transform.
>>
>> OK. xalan also complains about a style sheet. These style sheets seem
>> important.
>
> They are not important, they are essential! :-)
OK. Dumb user question: if they are so important, why does the tool
have no default style sheet to use? I would expect it to set margins
at 1.00 inch (or 2 centimeters), etc.

> 1. Validate your DocBook XML file first
> Do NOT skip this step! Use xmllint and run it like this:
> $ xmllint --xinclude --postvalid --noout book.xml
> If you encounter any problems, fix it. DO NOT processed further if you
> encounter any errors. The other steps rely on a valid DocBook source.
>
> 2. Transform your DocBook XML file into FO
> The FO file is an intermediate file which is read by your FO formatter.
> I've already wrote about how to run xsltproc. See lines above.
OK, thanks. I was not aware this was a multi-step process.

> 3. Format the FO file
> Now you take your FO file and feed it into the FO formatter:
> $ fop book.fo book.pdf
OK. See below :(

$ xmllint --xinclude --postvalid --noout book.xml
# No complaints

$ xsltproc --xinclude
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/docbook.xsl
book.xml > book.fo
# No complaints

$ fop -fo book.fo -pdf book.pdf
# All hell breaks loose

Thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Oct 25, 2011 5:07:37 AM org.apache.fop.cli.Main startFOP
SEVERE: Exception
org.apache.fop.apps.FOPException:
org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: Error: First element must be
the fo:root formatting object. Found (Namespace URI: "", Local Name:
"html") instead. Please make sure you're producing a valid XSL-FO
document.
javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:
org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: Error: First element must be
the fo:root formatting object. Found (Namespace URI: "", Local Name:
"html") instead. Please make sure you're producing a valid XSL-FO
document.
	at org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler.transformTo(InputHandler.java:217)
	at org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler.renderTo(InputHandler.java:125)
	at org.apache.fop.cli.Main.startFOP(Main.java:166)
	at org.apache.fop.cli.Main.main(Main.java:197)
Caused by: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:
org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: Error: First element must be
the fo:root formatting object. Found (Namespace URI: "", Local Name:
"html") instead. Please make sure you're producing a valid XSL-FO
document.
	at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.transform(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:502)
	at org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler.transformTo(InputHandler.java:214)
	... 3 more
Caused by: org.apache.fop.fo.ValidationException: Error: First element
must be the fo:root formatting object. Found (Namespace URI: "", Local
Name: "html") instead. Please make sure you're producing a valid
XSL-FO document.
	at org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder$MainFOHandler.startElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:262)
	at org.apache.fop.fo.FOTreeBuilder.startElement(FOTreeBuilder.java:163)
	at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.startElement(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:1073)
	at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.xinclude.XIncludeHandler.startElement(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown
Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNSDocumentScannerImpl$NSContentDispatcher.scanRootElementHook(Unknown
Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContentDispatcher.dispatch(Unknown
Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Unknown
Source)
	at org.apache.xerces.jaxp.SAXParserImpl$JAXPSAXParser.parse(Unknown Source)
	at org.apache.xalan.transformer.TransformerIdentityImpl.transform(TransformerIdentityImpl.java:485)
	... 4 more

---------

$