From Jeffrey Walton <noloa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem rendering right arrow in PDF
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2011 11:56:54 GMT
Thanks Pascal,

I appreciate all the help.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Pascal Sancho <pascal.sancho@takoma.fr> wrote:

> Le 28/10/2011 12:57, Jeffrey Walton a écrit :
>> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Pascal Sancho <pascal.sancho@takoma.fr> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Please, do not mix 2 topics in one thread, that help users to retrieve
>>> relevant info in archives.
>> Sorry, I don't understand what you meant. Rendering &rarr; and Base-14
>> seemed relevant.
>>
>>> That said:
>>>  assuming your &rarr; is declared in a DTD, you have to set a
>>> font-family that contains such glyph, even when in one of Base-14 fonts.
>> OK. I looked through fop(1) before posting, and did not see a way to
>> add additional fonts.
>
> the glyph corresponding to &rarr; (AKA &#x2192;) is in ZapfDingbats font.
> You have to explicitely set it:
> <fo:wrapper font-family="ZapfDingbats">&#x2192;</fo:wrapper>
OK. I added '<fo:wrapper
font-family="ZapfDingbats">&#x2192;</fo:wrapper>' to book.xml. It
failed xsltproc validation, and caused a FOPException.

I think the best thing to do is say 'F**k It' - let O'Reilly deal with
this mess since they are the printers and they require the format. I'm
a fool for suffering someone else's printing/type setting problems
this long.

> Note that ZapfDingbats onlya have regular glyphes; you have to ensure
> that italic or bold are not used.
>
> You can use other fonts; read [1] for further information.
>
> [1] http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/1.0/fonts.html
OK, thanks.

Jeff