From dilipvshah <dilipvs...@hotmail.com>
Subject How To Implement Ligature For Indian Languages In Pdf Documents?
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2011 21:32:10 GMT

I wish to use XSL-FO technology to generate PDF documents in Indian
languages.

Here are the steps I took:
1) I downloaded fop-1.0 and tried their first example to display a name. I
tried to display name in one of the Indian languages, Gujarati.
2) I modified the fop configuration file to load Arial Unicode MS
3) The example application does produce PDF document with Gujarati fonts but
the text is displayed as a sequence of individual characters and doesn't use
ligature to display the text correctly. The font glyphs are displayed in the
ordered they are entered in Google's transliterate tool but since ligature
rules are not applied, the name is displayed incorrectly.
Does FOP have ligature rules for Indian languages? If so, how do I apply
them when generating a PDF document.
Thanks!