From "Thomas Schraitle" <tom_s...@web.de>
Subject Re: Default XSL Stylesheet for PDF?
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2011 11:29:08 GMT
Hi Jeffrey,

On Tuesday 25 October 2011 Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> [...]
>
> OK. Dumb user question: if they are so important, why does the tool
> have no default style sheet to use?

There are no "default style sheets". It is the user who has to set these. The important thing
is, you just need to give them as an option to your respective XML program.

> I would expect it to set margins at 1.00 inch (or 2 centimeters), etc.

That's a different thing and has nothing to do with "default style sheets". :) This is a layout
issue. Of course, you can set this things in the stylesheets.

> [...]
> OK, thanks. I was not aware this was a multi-step process.

Yes, it is. :-)

> > 3. Format the FO file
> > Now you take your FO file and feed it into the FO formatter:
> > $ fop book.fo book.pdf
>
> OK. See below :(
>
> $ xmllint --xinclude --postvalid --noout book.xml
> # No complaints
>
> $ xsltproc --xinclude
> http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/html/docbook.xsl [...]

NO! :-) You need "fo", _not_ "html"! The URL is wrong: just replace the "/html/" part with
"/fo/".
The xsltproc processor indeed does not complain, because it was a correct transformation,
although in HTML. But HTML is not the correct input format for your FO formatter. :-)

Tom