From Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>
Subject Re: XSL vs. FOP [was: Re: pagenumbering]
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 03:41:28 GMT
Christopher,

We may be applying different ontological models here.

I label anything having to do with XSL-FO as FO related.

I label anything having to do with XSLT as XSL related.

For me, FO related != XSL related.

In fact, there is no necessary logical connection between the two, except
insofar as FO borrows/reuses certain constructs from XSL(T), the only one of
which I know of is the number to string conversion properties, which,
coincidentally, have to do with the current subject matter: page number
generation.

In any case, by model, page number properties are FO related, not XSL
related.

Because FOP supports both XSL(T) [indirectly} and FO, it certainly covers
both areas, but as far as I'm concerned the XSL(T) portion of it is a
convenience function, unrelated to its core functionality.

Given the amount of traffic (mis)spent on issues related to the XSL(T)
features of FOP, I often wish it did not support this convenience function.
But that's neither here nor there.

G.