From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Placing external graphics
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2011 10:46:56 GMT
On 25/08/2011 22:25, Samuel Penn wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> I'm having some issues with the placement of images with external-graphic.
> The graphic (a jpeg) is being inserted into a text flow in one column of
> a two column page layout (i.e., it's not meant to spread across multiple
> text columns). What happens, is that the correct amount of whitespace is
> reserved for the image, but the bottom of the image is aligned with the
> top of where it should be, so the image overwrites the text paragraph
> immediately above it.
>
> This is happening with several of the inserted images (the one that
> works is quite small).
>
> I'm using FOP 0.95 on Linux (Ubuntu 11.4). On a previous computer, using
> theoretically the same stylesheets and FOP version, the images seemed to be
> placed correctly, so I'm not sure what's changed.

Have you tested your XSL-FO on FOP v1.0? There have been a lot of fixes
between 1.0 and 0.95, some of them relates to multi-column layout.

> The XML looks something like this:
>
> <fo:block font-size="10pt" font-family="Times" line-height="12pt"
>                    space-after="10pt">
>     Blah blah blah blah blah blah...  Blah blah blah blah blah blah...
>     Blah blah blah blah blah blah...  Blah blah blah blah blah blah...
>     Blah blah blah blah blah blah...  Blah blah blah blah blah blah...
>     Blah blah blah blah blah blah...  Blah blah blah blah blah blah...
>     Blah blah blah blah blah blah...  Blah blah blah blah blah blah...
> </fo:block>
>
> <fo:block space-after="0pt" space-before="0px" text-align="center">
>      <fo:external-graphic src="images/sizes.jpg"
>                              display-align="center" content-width="60mm"/>
> </fo:block>
>
> <fo:block font-size="10pt" font-family="Times" line-height="12pt"
>                    space-after="10pt">
>     Blah blah blah blah blah blah...  Blah blah blah blah blah blah...
>     Blah blah blah blah blah blah...  Blah blah blah blah blah blah...
>     Blah blah blah blah blah blah...  Blah blah blah blah blah blah...
>     Blah blah blah blah blah blah...  Blah blah blah blah blah blah...
>     Blah blah blah blah blah blah...  Blah blah blah blah blah blah...
> </fo:block>
>
> What renders, is the first paragraph, the image overlaid on top of
> it, a chunk of whitespace (equal in size to the image), then the
> second paragraph.

Difficult to tell what could be the problem from a snippet of the FO.
You could try taking out the space-before/after attributes in case that
causes some problems within multi-column layouts. If that still fails on
FOP 1.0, could you send us a trimmed down XSL-FO File that demonstrates
the issue?

> There's an image of the output here:
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-T-EK3oVgCrkfc4aUie6HQ?feat=directlink
>
> Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?