From "Eric Douglas" <edoug...@blockhouse.com>
Subject RE: pagenumbering
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 15:16:39 GMT
I agree that discussion was petty.  If someone thought the question was
off topic they are welcome to respond with links to point you somewhere
you might get better answers or ignore the question.
While I haven't checked what other XSLFO processors exist, it seems the
XSLT and XSLFO specifications are both generic and unrelated to FOP.
If the question is about creating XSL in either form it may be
technically off topic, though I for one don't care.
If the question is about how FOP specifically interprets your XSLFO, or
about whether a feature is supported then it's most relevant.

I use FOP in a most unconventional way but I've stuck with it for 2
reasons I can think of.
1) I don't know of any other free project which creates PDFs with all
the options FOP has.
2) FOP was initially recommended to us by a consultant and I've gotten
it to work so if it isn't broken there's no need to change.
If there is another PDF create project with all the features we need
that can create more efficiently we'll likely switch eventually.
FOP doesn't handle large transforms.  I tested creating a 1000 page PDF
and it ran out of memory, though the output is small and the input is
reasonably small.
I got around this bug by creating 1 page PDFs.  We generate our input
programmatically so we know what goes on each page, so I just broke it
up.
I increment the page number on each PDF and just pass it in as a tag.
     <fo:page-sequence>
          <xsl:attribute
name="master-reference">STANDARD_PAGE</xsl:attribute>
          <xsl:attribute name="initial-page-number"><xsl:value-of
select="IPN"/></xsl:attribute>
Then I use pdfbox to mrge the resulting PDFs.