From "Christopher R. Maden" <cr...@maden.org>
Subject Re: XSL vs. FOP [was: Re: pagenumbering]
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 04:09:19 GMT
On 08/30/2011 11:41 PM, Glenn Adams wrote:
> We may be applying different ontological models here.

That does seem likely, since...

> I label anything having to do with XSL-FO as FO related.
>
> I label anything having to do with XSLT as XSL related.
>
> For me, FO related != XSL related.

The XSL-FO language is defined in <URL: http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/ >,
“Extensible Stylesheet Language (XSL).”  Early drafts did not even
separate the transformation and formatting parts of XSL, but since the
transformation was so useful on its own, it was spun out.  However,
formatting was the primary goal of the XSL work.  IOW, FO *is* XSL. XSLT
is a by-product, but is often (mistakenly) called “XSL.”

> Because FOP supports both XSL(T) [indirectly} and FO, it certainly
> covers both areas, but as far as I'm concerned the XSL(T) portion of
> it is a convenience function, unrelated to its core functionality.

I concur with that... it is now clear that the only confusion is whether
or not FO is part of XSL; I hope the title of the W3C Recommendation
defining it clarifies that.

[Argumentum ad verecundiam: I was on the W3C XSL Working Group from its
inception in 1997 until 2002.]

It is also quite clear at <URL:
http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/#introduction > that XSL-FO is
in scope for that list.

I wouldn’t and can’t stop anyone from posting questions about FO here.
However, I will try, in my answers, to make clear whether their
questions pertain to FOP behavior or whether they would have the same
questions regardless of which tool they were using.

~Chris
“The present tendency and drift towards the Police State gives all
 free Americans pause.” — Alabama Supreme Court, 1955
 (Pike v. Southern Bell Tel. & Telegraph, 81 So.2d 254)