From "Christopher R. Maden" <cr...@maden.org>
Subject XSL vs. FOP [was: Re: pagenumbering]
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 15:12:30 GMT
On 08/30/2011 10:52 AM, Glenn Adams wrote:
> actually, this is an FO issue, not XSL, since it is FOP that
> generates page numbers via <fo:page-number>

XSL encompasses both Formatting Objects (sometimes “XSL-FO”) and XSL
Tranformations (XSLT).  An FO issue *is* an XSL issue.

It is FOP that generates page numbers, but what Theresa needed was the
FO instruction, which is agnostic about the software that consumes it
(whether FOP, RenderX, Antenna House, or anything else).

The XSL List (<URL: http://www.mulberrytech.com/xsl/xsl-list/ >) covers
all of XSL, including XSL-FO.

We’ve previously had discussions on this list about allowing XML+XSLT as
input to FOP, and the potential user confusion that results as to what
FOP actually does.  For similar reasons, when I reply to questions here,
I try to make it clear what parts are specific to FOP, and which
questions are about XML, XSLT, or FO, and orthogonal to FOP’s operation
specifically.

> the correct answer is that you need to use the initial-page-number
> property on fo:page-sequence to specify a different starting number
> than is generated by "auto";
>
> see http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xsl11-20061205/#initial-page-number
> and and
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xsl11-20061205/#fo_page-sequence for
> details;

Yes, and I apologize for not taking the time to look up the references
that Theresa needs.

~Chris

[Emotional content notice (since plain text is really bad at
communicating this): I want to be very clear that I am not attacking or
criticizing Glenn or Theresa.  And certainly, I’ve known Glenn by his
work for far too long to accuse him of anything remotely resembling
ignorance.  I have simply attempted to be somewhat detailed and pedantic
here for maximal clarity to everyone who might read this.]
“The present tendency and drift towards the Police State gives all
 free Americans pause.” — Alabama Supreme Court, 1955
 (Pike v. Southern Bell Tel. & Telegraph, 81 So.2d 254)