From Samuel Penn <...@glendale.org.uk>
Subject Re: Placing external graphics
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2011 09:36:22 GMT
On Friday 26 August 2011 11:46:56 Chris Bowditch wrote:
> On 25/08/2011 22:25, Samuel Penn wrote:
> > I'm having some issues with the placement of images with
> > external-graphic. The graphic (a jpeg) is being inserted into a text
> > flow in one column of a two column page layout (i.e., it's not meant to
> > spread across multiple text columns). What happens, is that the correct
> > amount of whitespace is reserved for the image, but the bottom of the
> > image is aligned with the top of where it should be, so the image
> > overwrites the text paragraph immediately above it.
> >
> > This is happening with several of the inserted images (the one that
> > works is quite small).
> >
> > I'm using FOP 0.95 on Linux (Ubuntu 11.4). On a previous computer, using
> > theoretically the same stylesheets and FOP version, the images seemed to
> > be placed correctly, so I'm not sure what's changed.
>
> Have you tested your XSL-FO on FOP v1.0? There have been a lot of fixes
> between 1.0 and 0.95, some of them relates to multi-column layout.

Apologies, I lied. I had downloaded 1.0 last week to test against to see
if that fixed things, and had forgotten that I'd changed my scripts to
use the fop-1.0 install rather than the system default. So yes, I'm seeing
the problem on 1.0.

Whilst putting together a simple example of the problem, I've discovered
that it works fine on the first page of each chapter. On the 2nd and
subsequent pages (even/odd makes no difference) of a chapter, I see the
problem. Each chapter starts on a new page (it's been 10 years since I
wrote these stylesheets, so my knowledge of fop is a bit rusty. Chapters
seem to begin a new fo:page-sequence/fo:flow).

It also doesn't make a difference which column the image is in.

> Difficult to tell what could be the problem from a snippet of the FO.
> You could try taking out the space-before/after attributes in case that
> causes some problems within multi-column layouts. If that still fails on
> FOP 1.0, could you send us a trimmed down XSL-FO File that demonstrates
> the issue?

Attached. It has two images inserted, one of the first page (which shows
up fine) and one on the second (which doesn't). Second image is 700x500
pixels, first about 400x300.

Thanks.

--
Be seeing you,