From Simon Pepping <spepp...@leverkruid.eu>
Subject Re: FOP and large documents (again)
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:29:23 GMT
On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 04:23:47AM +0200, Stephan Thesing wrote:
> I would rather change the layout managers to produce KnuthElements in the way TeX does
and leave page alignment to the page collection stage.
> I don't see another manageable way to do this but to add to the layout managers a new
interface for this demand driven approach.
> Essentially, this would result in a parallel implementation of generating content to
the getNextKnuthElements() and addAreas() interface.

By demand driven do you mean that the page collection process requests
Knuth elements from the layout managers? That seems the way to go
indeed.

You may come a long way, but it will be difficult to reproduce all
details and pass all unit tests. OTOH, efforts that aimed at full
compatibility have failed so far, so an effort which focuses on the
target functionality first, and full compatibility later, may be the
best strategy.

> PS: Is there any more in-depth documentation about the way the
> layout managers work apart from the Wiki Pages?

Years ago I had documentation which was called DnI (Design and
Implementation). I deleted it because it had become obsolete. It has
quite a few details on the layout engine, and maybe some of it is
still useful. You can find it in old revisions, e.g.
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xmlgraphics/fop/trunk/src/documentation/content/xdocs/DnI/?pathrev=947983.
It is based on docbook 4.2. You may have some trouble building it,
because the Makefile still uses fop 0.20.5.

Other documentation than that we do not have.

Simon