From "Theresa Jayne Forster" <ther...@inbrand.co.uk>
Subject RE: XSL vs. FOP [was: Re: pagenumbering]
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 12:56:09 GMT
And my question was about the FO <fo:page-number/> tag therefore a FOP
question

Ie how do I get the output I need when using the tag..

Kindest regards

Theresa Forster

Senior Software Developer

From: Eric Douglas [mailto:edouglas@blockhouse.com]
Sent: 31 August 2011 13:37
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org
Subject: RE: XSL vs. FOP [was: Re: pagenumbering]

XSLFO is what you get when you combine XSLT with XML.

XSLFO is an extension of XSLT and includes XSLT commands.

XSLFO is as unrelated to FOP as XSLT when you're talking about it's creation
for expected output.

If you want only FOP related questions they should be about XSLFO commands
and only as far as whether they're supported and whether they're producing
the expected output.

There is likely a better place for questions about how to generate XSLT or
XSLFO which should produce particular output which don't question whether
FOP is processing it correctly, and you're welcome to point people to such a
place if you don't have an answer or don't feel like answering, though I
personally wouldn't mind helping if I do have an answer.

I use FOP with XML + XSLT with embedded code.  I have had some issues with
how FOP works which require looking at the XSLFO, so I actually split the
process so I call the Java transform method twice.  One passes the XSL on
the Transformer create and the XML as input and the output is XSLFO I can
write to a file if I need.  The second transform uses no XSL and passes the
XSLFO as input and the FOP handler on the output.

If you don't want to 'misspend' any time answering questions that should
include questions about how to write XSLT or XSLFO.  Once someone has valid
XSLFO and they're not getting the expected output then it's an FOP question.

  _____