From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: PDF: Disable converting color to "Device Gray"
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:47:01 GMT
FOP doesn't have such an option. The PDF 1.4 spec says in chapter 6.2.1:
"A gray level is equivalent to an RGB value with all three components
the same."

And therefore we render gray values in the DeviceGray color space. That
this doesn't work in your case is a bit surprising. But I've heard
something similar just two weeks ago from a company that does photo
books with FOP/Batik. But they had to do strange things like using CMYK
and adding Magenta in addition to the K=1.0 value. They still just get
an approximate black. I guess that's an issue of the printer they use. I
suspect your case may be similar: a printer issue.

I guess we could add such an option to disable that RGB to gray
replacement but I'm not sure if it would help. You can try to disable it
by changing org.apache.fop.pdf.PDFColor.java. Look for:

            boolean same = false;
            if (this.red == this.green && this.red == this.blue) {
                same = true;
            }

Comment out the "if" section and check if it helps. I suspect not.
Please keep me in the loop.

On 25.08.2010 11:10:46 Frangoo wrote:

> Hi users,
>
> I have a problem with a color space.
> I generate a PDF with FOP 1.0, and one page within is completely black.
> But FOP generates a PDF, where the black page is not black, but dark gray.
> With other XSL-FO engines I found out, that they have an option do select
> different color-changing-features. When I deselect all, I get a nice black -
> but if I enable "DeviceGray", I get there also the dark gray color.
>
> After that I guess, that FOP is generating PDFs in general with that option
> "Convert colors to DeviceGray".
> My two questions:
> 1) Am I right?
> 2) Where can I disable that / or get anther solution?
>
> Google & FOP-Pages didn't brought me any help.
>
> Thanks very much to everybody who writes back !!
>

> Regards,
>
> Frangoo
> --

Jeremias Maerki