From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: SVG Text rendering
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:42:56 GMT
On 17.11.2008 15:08:52 Martin Jacobson wrote:
> Although we have text appearing, I'd like to resolve the issue of
> using the latest FOP in batik; using standard Batik 1.7 results in ALL
> text being transcoded as paths!
>
> I've always had difficulties understanding Java's concept of
> Classpath, so please excuse me! The doc. for using
> batik-rasterizer.jar instructs you to cd to the directory containing
> the jar and execute the "java -jar batik-rasterizer..." command from
> there. Even with an empty CLASSPATH, the jar manages to find other
> jars in the lib directory below, so it must be hard-coded, surely?

Yes, open batik-rasterizer.jar in your favourite ZIP tool and take a
look at the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file. There, you'll find all the
entries (Look for the "Class-Path" entry). But that mechanism has its
limits. I don't like it too much.

> Anyway, I tried this
>
> export CLASSPATH=/usr/local/batik-1.7/lib:$CLASSPATH; java -jar ...

The use of the CLASSPATH environment variable is generally considered
bad practice because it can lead to trouble when running multiple Java
applications on one machine.

> and
>
> java -cp /usr/local/batik-1.7/lib java -jar ...

-jar and -cp doesn't work together, unfortunately. And Java doesn't pick
up all JARs if you just specify a directory.

The suggested way is using only -cp, but in this case, you have to know
the main class of the Batik Rasterizer. You can find that in the
MANIFEST.MF file, too (Value: Main-Class).

java -cp
/usr/local/batik-1.7/batik-dom.jar:/usr/local/batik-1.7/batik-gvt.jar:/usr..... org.apache.batik.apps.rasterizer.Main

It's probably best if you write a little shell script. I know that
feels like: What? Is there no better way? Actually there are better ones
but not without Java knowledge. In FOP, we use normally use scripts, too,
although FOP has a special "-jar" mode which does a dynamic class path
setup. But that would first have to be ported to Batik before you could
use it.

> Neither worked, in that neither cured the original exception:

> org/apache/xmlgraphics/image/loader/ImageContext
>        at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
>        at java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:164)
>        at org.apache.batik.apps.rasterizer.DestinationType.getTranscoder(DestinationType.java:96)
>        at org.apache.batik.apps.rasterizer.SVGConverter.execute(SVGConverter.java:690)
>        at org.apache.batik.apps.rasterizer.Main.execute(Main.java:938)
>        at org.apache.batik.apps.rasterizer.Main.main(Main.java:992)
>
> Any ideas would be welcome!
>
> Martin
<snip/>

Jeremias Maerki