From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: SVG Text rendering
Date Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:16:16 GMT
On 14.11.2008 17:03:53 Martin Jacobson wrote:
> It seems to be getting worse, not better :-(
>
> putting the xmlgraphics-commons.jar into the class path did not help.

What does that mean? The log output you posted below?

> I modified the fop 0.95 build.xml as follows...
>
> (all in one jar patternset)
>         <!-- next line replaced by following MJ 14/11/2008 -->
>         <!--include name="org/apache/xmlgraphics/util/io/**"/-->
>         <include name="org/apache/xmlgraphics/util/**"/>
>         <!-- next line added by MJ 14/11/2008 -->
>         <include name="org/apache/xmlgraphics/image/**"/>

Well, that was not the idea. And it will also not work as you lose the
registrations of the default plug-ins of the image loading framework
(See META-INF/services directory in the JAR). You should really put
xmlgraphics-commons.jar from FOP's lib directory in the classpath
instead of changing the build.

> This jar, when copied as before, produced a load of errors, as below...
> ov 14, 2008 3:18:48 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.autodetect.FontInfoFinder find
> SEVERE: Unable to load font file: file:/System/Library/Fonts/????.ttf.
> Reason: TrueType font is not supported:
> file:/System/Library/Fonts/????.ttf
> Nov 14, 2008 3:18:48 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.truetype.TTFFile readCMAP
> SEVERE: Unsupported TrueType font: Unicode cmap table not present. Aborting
> Nov 14, 2008 3:18:48 PM org.apache.fop.fonts.autodetect.FontInfoFinder find
> SEVERE: Unable to load font file: file:/System/Library/Fonts/????.ttf.
> Reason: TrueType font is not supported:
> file:/System/Library/Fonts/????.ttf
> success

Most of that is normal. FOP cannot deal with all fonts it finds, yet.
Some will cause errors but these fonts will simply be ignored. We have a
dilemma here: Some users simply don't care if any font cannot be loaded
and other would want to know if and why their font hasn't been picked up.
Furthermore, these messages should only appear once when there's no font
cache file or the font cache file needed to be invalidated due to a
version change or the addition of a font in the operating system.

> obviously, the pdf doesn't respect the font spec in the style sheet.
> Furthermore, its treatment of text on a path is no better than before;
> viz three textPaths are rendered, out of around 100.

Ok, in that case we're at a point where I'll ask you to send me a test
file that I can run. In my tests, text on a path was painted as text.
But there are still situations (for example with filter operations)
where this is not possible and Batik produces the text internally using
bitmaps. If I can take a look at your test files, I can tell you exactly
it doesn't work in any special case.

Jeremias Maerki