From Vincent Hennebert <vincent.henneb...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: Fedora 9: hyphenation
Date Mon, 19 May 2008 08:25:25 GMT
Hi,

Tavmjong Bah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	Fop (0.95beta) is included in Fedora 9. Has anybody gotten hyphenation
> to work with this package? I get the error message:
>
> SEVERE: Couldn't find hyphenation pattern en
>
> I have downloaded the precompiled JAR file from OFFO and tried setting
> the CLASSPATH to include it. I've also tried setting the

Are you writing your own program embedding FOP, or are you using the
command-line version?

You can copy the fop-hyph.jar file into the lib/ or build/ directory of
the FOP distribution. This makes hyphenation patterns available to every
user of the machine (if this is of any interest for you), however the
file may not survive a subsequent update of the FOP rpm package.

> FOP_HYPHENATION_PATH to point to it.

How did you do exactly? Note that the variable must explicitly include
‘fop-hyph.jar’:
    export FOP_HYPHENATION_PATH="/path/to/my/fop-hyph.jar"
Just setting the directory won’t work.

You can have a look at the following page for help:
http://offo.sourceforge.net/hyphenation/fop-stable/installation.html
(although I’ve just noticed that the explanation about
FOP_HYPHENATION_PATH is slighty inexact —will need correction.)

> java -version reports:
>
> java version "1.6.0"
> OpenJDK  Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b09)
> OpenJDK Client VM (build 1.6.0-b09, mixed mode)

HTH,
Vincent