From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem with custom fonts
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:44:17 GMT
Daniel Noll wrote:
> Thomas Zastrow wrote:
>
>> I agree. I didn't thought of bundling FOP directly with the fonts.
>> Instead, they could be put on another webpage and the user can download
>> them optional. It was just an  idea, as it was some labour to build the
>> metrics for my preferred fonts ;-)
>

> I thought the command was basically the same for all fonts, except where
> .ttc collections were involved.  I was (and still am) considering
> writing some magic code which autocreates the metrics when a new font is
> discovered.

No need ;) such code already exists in FOP trunk.

>>> We better try to discover the fonts installed on the system and
>>> automatically configure them. Good news, Adrian Cumiskey recently
>>> submitted a patch which does exactly that. Review and application
>>> pending...
>>

>> Huh, that would be the perfect solution ;-)
>

> Only if it results in consistent metrics between PDF and AWT renderers.
> Otherwise we'll just be bypassing all that convenience to make things
> render right. :-/

The patch for autodetection of Fonts is only for PDF and PS Renderers.
The AWT Renderer gets its Fonts from the JDK which in turn gets its
fonts from the Operating System. The difference in font metrics between
AWT and PS/PDF exists regardless of the new auto font detection patch.

Chris