From Abel Braaksma <abel.onl...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Differences in Chineese output between fop 0.20.5 and fop trunk
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:48:39 GMT
J.Pietschmann wrote:
> Manuel Mall wrote:
>> I am in no way an expert in Asian scripts but I believe Chinese is
>> typically written top to bottom.
>
> That's "classical Chinese." Nowadays rl-tb is commonly used.
>
> J.PIetschmann

"Commonly" depends on where you are. In Macau, Hongkong and Taiwan,
Traditional Chinese, top-to-bottom, right-to-left is still most common
in books, newspapers (declining, often combining l-r and t-b texts in
one paper), comics etc. Additionally, Japanese is invariably written
top-to-bottom on address labels and in comics (see any Manga comic).
About all Asian scripts are written top to bottom on spines of books.
Traditional Mongolian (Manchu and the likes) is always written
top-to-bottom left-to-right (but Manchu is rare). Japanese business
cards tend to be both top-to-bottom (Japanese text) and left-to-right
(English version).

I don't agree that "rl-tb" is commonly used, not even for Simplified
Chinese: the majority of Simplified Chinese (which is the language in
mainland China since 1950) texts are left-to-right and top-to-bottom.
Only when combined with Arabic or Hebrew texts, right-to-left is used,
i.e., it follows the "host" writing direction.

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma