From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject GifImage hangs indefinitely
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 06:47:34 GMT
Hi all.

I thought I might try to side-step the ImageIO GIF bug by commenting out
that provider in FOP's ImageFactory.  But it looks like the GifImage
implementation is unsafe too.  The call to consumer.getImage() hangs
waiting forever.

The underlying problem seems to come from the JDK, however:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> 	at sun.awt.image.URLImageSource.getConnection(URLImageSource.java:97)
> 	at sun.awt.image.URLImageSource.getDecoder(URLImageSource.java:107)
> 	at sun.awt.image.InputStreamImageSource.doFetch(InputStreamImageSource.java:240)
> 	at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.fetchloop(ImageFetcher.java:172)
> 	at sun.awt.image.ImageFetcher.run(ImageFetcher.java:136)

That line in the JRE's URLImageSource.java calls url.openConnection(),
so it fails because FOP's DummyConnection (URLConnection) doesn't attach
a URL to the request.

I'm thinking that perhaps we can use the original URI to return a URL in
that DummyConnection class, but I don't have enough time left today to
test that theory just yet so I thought I'd prod the list to see if
someone thinks it would solve the issue.

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

Nuix Pty Ltd