From Eric Vought <evou...@pobox.com>
Date Mon, 09 Apr 2007 22:47:23 GMT
I have a relatively large (~40 page) DocBook document I am converting
to FO using the XSL 1.72.0  stylesheets and then using FOP 0.93 to
produce PDF on Mac OS X with JDK 1.5.0. Suddenly, my build is failing
due to a FOP exception and I am having a hell of a time isolating
the specific fo input causing it.

I am getting the following errors:

       [fop] Apr 9, 2007 5:11:09 PM org.apache.fop.cli.InputHandler
error
       [fop] SEVERE: javax.xml.transform.TransformerException: Index:
14, Size: 12

javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:

I also have a warning:

[fop] WARNING: Line 1 of a paragraph overflows the available area.
(fo:block, location: 731/-1)

which I have had for days to no ill effect.

The various documents (the DocBook 4.5 input, the fo input to Fop)
all validate. I have no problem producing HTML from the same source.
I was able to produce PDF yesterday and added a large amount of
content in between. I build html most of the time and check the PDF
only periodically. I spent several hours commenting out parts of the
new content in the DocBook source to see what triggered the error.

I narrowed it down to one paragraph and the end of a line, no markup,
just text; it looked like FOP might have had trouble finding a good
point to break the line. This is not, however, at line 731 of the .fo
output (from the warning) or anywhere near it.

OK, now for the screwy part. I started removing other parts of the
document to trim it down to just the section causing the error--- and
it went away. I can remove any of several arbitrary sections of the
document (that have been there for days without issue) and the error
stops. I am having an extremely difficult time producing a small .fo
sample that causes the bug.

Any suggestions? How do I track this down?

Sincerely,

Eric Vought

There are four boxes in the defense of Liberty:
1) Soap Box
2) Ballot Box
3) Jury Box
4) Ammo Box