From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Differences in Chineese output between fop 0.20.5 and fop trunk
Date Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:39:49 GMT
The most probably reason is that the whole line-breaking is different
from 0.20.5 (the code has been rewritten) and FOP still doesn't
implement all of UAX#14. I can't even tell if 0.20.5 did it right.
Anyway, we mostly lack the knowledge of non-western scripts and have an
incomplete implementation, so effects like this are to be expected.

As a work-around you can try inserting zero-width spaces to give FOP the
chance to add more spacing/break possibilities. From the Unicode docs:
ZWSP: "this character is intended for line break control: it has no
width, but its presence between two characters does not prevent
increased letter spacing in justification."

HTH

On 12.04.2007 11:01:54 Stefan Heuer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to generate a Chinese PDF file. I've found a working font
> and embedding works.
>
> But there are some differences int the output between the old and the
> current processor. I appended two PDF files and the fo source.
>
> The differences in the page layout are OK. But the line breaking and
> the following big distances between the words looking bad. Particular
> in the second paragraph on the second page there are big differences
> between the words.
>
> I'm using fop 0.20.5 and fop trunk from 10.April on Windows XP with
> Java 1.5.
>
> I would prefer using fop 0.93 or later. Is there anybody who can give
> me a hint how to adjust (or other action) to avoid such big distances.
>

> Thanks
> Stefan

Jeremias Maerki