From Andreas L Delmelle <a_l.delme...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: second run causes error
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 17:12:56 GMT
On Apr 17, 2007, at 16:46, Abel Braaksma wrote:

Hi,

> Ian Hendry wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have implemented FOP on an tomcat 5 servlet. The XML data is
>> read from Oracle 10g to a java.lang.String and then mixed with
>> XSLT from the file system to produce the PDF. ...

Small question out of curiosity: how exactly is the XML produced?
I've always wondered. Dumping into a java.lang.String does not seem
to me the best way of tackling the issue of generating XML from a
database (unless the source files are really nothing but tiny XML
fragments)... Never had to do it myself so far, so I don't really
know from experience whether there are better options.

That said, the big clue is here, I think:

>> ... This error repeats until I restart the tomcat server. The
>> error in the tomcat log is

If I'm correct, the problem is along the lines of:
Oracle can only use static methods as entry points to Java classes
(unless instances of the Java class are stored in a column in the
database table). I therefore suspect that your java.lang.String is
also a static. I even think it is a static that is not explicitly
cleared, so the second time the procedure runs, the output just gets
concatenated to the existing String, which results in FOP being fed
invalid XML...

But this is just a suspicion. I'd need to see more of the code to be
able to say for sure. :/

HTH!

Cheers,

Andreas