From Clay Leeds <webmaes...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic charts issues in batch PDF generation
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:40:42 GMT
On Jan 19, 2006, at 10:30 AM, Glen Mazza wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
>> Or you need to simply make sure that the URLs are unique. You can
>> use a
>> dummy parameter in the URL to fake uniqueness:
>> http://localhost/MyChartServlet?dummy=1234
>
> Hmmm...my guess is that for any servlet-related problem for which a
> "dummy parameter to fake uniqueness" would solve it, that the
> servlet itself can be rewritten to fix the problem instead.  (In
> this case, have it coded to regenerate the image for every call,
> with no dummy parameter needed.)  If I'm correct, I would refer the
> questioner to the Sun Servlet forum for more assistance.
>
> Glen

In my experience (mainly coming from a background where the user-
agent tends to be a web browser), if you call the same thing twice,
there are a number of places where the object being served can be
'cached':
- server
- proxy
- client

In some cases, the server itself also might have some sort of
'caching' system as well, which is external to the server.

If someone is calling a cacheable resource, I've found it safest to
somehow modify the name (even slightly) to ensure there's no caching
involved. IMO, this alleviates the potential of cacheability (making
words up can be fun!).

Web Maestro Clay