From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: Using ArialUnicode and need the ability for text search in PDF
Date Tue, 29 Nov 2005 09:10:06 GMT
Well, this has been a known issue for a long time and it is still not
adressed in FOP 0.90alpha1. However, someone is working with the FOray
project to build a better font library for FOP. Victor Mote already
fixed the problem in his FOray but I can't tell what the status of his
project is. Of course, that means there's probably no short-term
solution.

I don't think the WinAnsi work-around is an option for you since you'd
lose the ability to use the whole glyph/character set of the font.

I haven't tried but you might be able to post-process with a PDF library
to get the problem "fixed". But frankly, I don't know if it would work.
I doubt it somewhat.

In the end, the ToUnicode PDF element has to be implemented somehow. I
can't tell how long it will take until we'll have that.

On 28.11.2005 23:02:06 Carrie Ward wrote:
> I am looking for some help with regard to allowing full text searches in
> PDFs while using MSArialUnicode font.  Currently, we are rendering XML
> (which may contain foreign chars) with an XSL into PDF using FOP-0.20.5
> but users are not able to search for text within the rendered PDF.
>

> The only way we could successfully render foreign chars was to create a
> CID-Keyed metrics file and reference that in the userconfig.xml.  If we
> recreate the metrics to be WinAnsi-encoded (as described at
> http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/0.20.5/fonts.html) , when we try to
> render the PDF from the XML and XSL, we either get 1) out of Memory
> errors with a corrupted PDF or 2) a huge PDF (over 19MB for a 2KB input
> XML file) with unacceptable performance.    Any suggestions?

Jeremias Maerki