From JBry...@s-s-t.com
Subject Re: FOP improvement up to 3000%.
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:55:43 GMT
Were the conditions of the two runs exactly the same? For example, if you
were timing the first run of the Xerces parser and the second run of the
Crimson parser, caching could account for much of the difference.

Also, such items as configuration differences can have a large impact. If
you were using the default amount of memory, perhaps Xerces would benefit
from a change in that setting while Crimson may be more efficient in its
use of memory and not suffer from using the default. Thus, changing
configuration could account for at least some of the difference. Your
mention that "This library give very poor performance where xml file is
large" makes me think memory may be part of the difference.

I'm sure other issues could factor into it as well.

Of course, Crimson may simply be a much faster parser. I have heard good
things about Crimson from a number of quarters.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

"Xaus, Jaume" <jaume.xaus@intarex.com>
09/23/2005 05:50 AM
Please respond to
fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

<fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org>
cc

Subject
FOP improvement up to 3000%.

Dear friends,

We are using FOP api in order to build PDF documents from large Xml files.

The FOP package distribution contains Xerces as xml parser. ([Debug] Using
org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser)

This library give very poor performance where xml file is large.

We improved up to 3000% the performance simplement changin Xerces for
Crimson library.([Debug] Using org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl as
SAX2 Parser)

Does anyone know the reason off this performance difference ?
Thanks

Jaume Xaus
Director Departament Java
jaume.xaus@intarex.com

“La confianza, como el arte, nunca proviene de tener todas las respuestas,
sino de estar abierto a todas la preguntas.”
Earl Gray Stevens.