From JBry...@s-s-t.com
Subject Re: compressing pdf response
Date Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:12:01 GMT
J.Pietschmann wrote:

Also, most of the PDF parts are already compressed (and re-encoded
as ASCII85). A secondary compression will probably gain something
between 15% and 20% for typical PDF files. Significant improvements
are only to be expected in case of large embedded BMP images and in
some cases if there are large embedded fonts.

I use FOP to prepare some documents that contain no images and use only
the standard fonts. The other day, I thought I'd zip one of those files
before sending it to a customer, and I got a 4% gain. I sent the unzipped
PDF file rather than make the customer unzip the file.

YMMV

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services