From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Subject Re: creating a PDF document containing UTF-8 characters
Date Thu, 01 Sep 2005 07:33:06 GMT
Jeremias Maerki wrote:

>It's more an issue with FOP in my opinion. So let's hope for you two
>that someone will eventually add this missing feature. Did I say that
>the source code of FOP is available? :-)

So there is a feature in PDF to store the actual content as UTF-8 without the font embedded,
and to tell the PDF viewer to use whatever fonts it can find to render the document?  Because
that's what we really need to solve the problem.

Particularly in our system, we can't guarantee that the person generating the PDF has the
same fonts as the person reading it.  And worse, we can't even guarantee that the person generating
it has ARIALUNI.TTF (as it's not freely redistributable.)  So embedding fonts in any fashion
doesn't solve the problem, and neither does font substitution at the time of generation.

I was thinking that the lack of font substitution at the time of rendering was more of an
issue with PDF, but if you say it's an issue with FOP then I'll take your word for it because
I don't know PDF well at all, just its damage to society. :-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll

NUIX Pty Ltd