From "Harms, Flemming Nickolas" <flemming.ha...@capgemini.com>
Subject RE: Poor quality when printing
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2005 07:44:38 GMT

Hi

Jay, thanks for your suggestions, but I'm not sure about it's a printer
issue and the PDF I write prints alright.

There is another issue that might be related to the issue with the poor
quality. If I have understand the documentation correctly, when you send
it to the printer it use the AWT Java API to renderers the document and
the font that are available on the system.

When I run my little test program I can see that "Arial" should be
available, but when I tell my xsl use another font then "Times Roman" it
report an error "unknown font Arial,normal,bold so defaulted font to
any"

My test program:
java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment ge =
java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getLocalGraphicsEnvironment();
	String[] fontNames = ge.getAvailableFontFamilyNames();
	for (int i = 0; i < fontNames.length; i++) {
		System.out.println(fontNames[i]);
}

This is an example where I specify the font-family in xls file
"<fo:block font-family="Arial" font-size="10pt" break-after="page">"

Could my problem be related to it use a default font, and how do I tell
FOP to use Arial when it renderers the document in AWT?

Flemming Harms