From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: FOP improvement up to 3000%.
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:36:10 GMT
Sorry, I just realized that the figures are seconds not milliseconds. I
guess in this case the class loading won't be so remarkable. :-)

On 23.09.2005 17:26:30 Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Jaume, please put a loop around the test and perform it at least 5 times.
> I strongly believe that you're seeing a lot of influence by the class
> loader and the JIT here. Xerces is a much larger package and will take
> longer to load. I'm sure your values will change quite a bit with the
> loop.
>
> On 23.09.2005 17:03:14 Xaus, Jaume wrote:
> > Dear Jay,
> >
> > We expended a lot of time in many test about this two libraries. :-)
> >
> > Two test was performed in the exactily same conditions.
> >
> > This is the code used in test :
> >
> > public class TestFop {
> >   public TestFop() {
> >     String[] clo = {"-d", "-pdf", "/test/prova.pdf", "-xml", "/test/per.xml", "-xsl","/test/ReportGeneric.xsl"};
> >
> >     try {
> >       long heapSize = Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory();
> >       long heapMaxSize = Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory();
> >       long heapFreeSize = Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory();
> >       Date ini = new Date();
> >       System.out.println("Tamany heap : "+heapSize);
> >       System.out.println("Maxim heap : "+heapMaxSize);
> >       System.out.println("LLiure heap : "+heapFreeSize);
> >
> >       Fop.main(clo);
> >
> >       heapSize = Runtime.getRuntime().totalMemory();
> >       heapMaxSize = Runtime.getRuntime().maxMemory();
> >       heapFreeSize = Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory();
> >       System.out.println("Tamany heap : "+heapSize);
> >       System.out.println("Maxim heap : "+heapMaxSize);
> >       System.out.println("LLiure heap : "+heapFreeSize);
> >       Date fin = new Date();
> >       long sec = (fin.getTime()-ini.getTime())/1000;
> >       String hola = "Temps = "+sec+" segonds.";
> >     }
> >     catch (Exception ex) {
> >       ex.printStackTrace();
> >     }
> >   }
> >
> >   public static void main(String[] args) {
> >     TestFop testfop = new TestFop();
> >   }
> >
> > Parametres JVM : -Xms128m -Xmx512m
> > Size of file per.xml : 501 kb
> > Lines of file per.xml : about 4.000 lines
> > Pages generated in file prova.pdf : 117 pages
> >
> > Time with Xerces  : 1637 seconds
> > Time with Crimson : 66 seconds
> >
> > Everybody could test yourself if he would !
> >
> > Salutations

the first run of the Xerces parser and the second run of the Crimson parser, caching could
account for much of the difference.

> > Also, such items as configuration differences can have a large impact. If you were
using the default amount of memory, perhaps Xerces would benefit from a change in that setting
while Crimson may be more efficient in its use of memory and not suffer from using the default.
Thus, changing configuration could account for at least some of the difference. Your mention
that "This library give very poor performance where xml file is large" makes me think memory
may be part of the difference.

> > I'm sure other issues could factor into it as well.
> >
> > Of course, Crimson may simply be a much faster parser. I have heard good things
about Crimson from a number of quarters.

> > Jay Bryant
> > Bryant Communication Services
> > (presently consulting at Synergistic Solution Technologies)
> >

> > "Xaus, Jaume" <jaume.xaus@intarex.com>
> > 09/23/2005 05:50 AM
> > Please respond to
> > fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

> > <fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org>
> > cc
> >
> > Subject
> > FOP improvement up to 3000%.

> > Dear friends,
> >
> > We are using FOP api in order to build PDF documents from large Xml files.
> >
> > The FOP package distribution contains Xerces as xml parser. ([Debug] Using
> > org.apache.xerces.parsers.SAXParser as SAX2 Parser)
> >
> > This library give very poor performance where xml file is large.
> >
> > We improved up to 3000% the performance simplement changin Xerces for
> > Crimson library.([Debug] Using org.apache.crimson.parser.XMLReaderImpl as
> > SAX2 Parser)
> >
> > Does anyone know the reason off this performance difference ?
> > Thanks
> >

> > Jaume Xaus
> > Director Departament Java
> > jaume.xaus@intarex.com
> >

> > “La confianza, como el arte, nunca proviene de tener todas las respuestas,
> > sino de estar abierto a todas la preguntas.”
> > Earl Gray Stevens.
> >

> > --
>

> Jeremias Maerki

Jeremias Maerki