From Jeremias Maerki <...@jeremias-maerki.ch>
Subject Re: FOP improvement up to 3000%.
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2005 15:23:22 GMT
I share Jay's view here. It's unclear under which conditions the
measurements were taken.

I think it's difficult to tell which one is faster. I've found
benchmarks on the net which make Xerces the winner:
http://piccolo.sourceforge.net/bench.html
http://www.devsphere.com/xml/benchmark/summary.html#xml_parsers_xerces_versus_crimson

But there is also one by Sun which shows the opposite but never in the
area of factor 30. Since in the FOP use case only SAX parsing is
important, it could very well be that Crimson is faster. Validation may
influence the performance, too. Difficult to say.

Does anyone want to do a FOP benchmark with different combinations of
XML parser and XSLT processor and put that on the FOP Wiki? There are
lots of little aspects that influence the overall performance. I think that
would be cool.

Jeremias Maerki