From "Greg Stark" <gst...@electrorent.com>
Subject RE: Invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x0)
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:32:03 GMT
Mike & J.Pietschmann,
Thank you for your help.  J. was right, the editor I use had botched the
file.  I used babelpad which showed the corruption.  I fixed the text and it
runs now.

Thank you.
Greg Stark

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Ferrando [mailto:mikeferrando@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 10, 2005 7:31 PM
To: fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org; gstark@electrorent.com
Subject: Re: Invalid XML character (Unicode: 0x0)

Greg S.,
Those line numbers in this case (of an illegal character) are
approximations.

I would suggest that you save your original document.

Use a copy of your document.

Cut the first 100 lines. (It has to be well formed of course.) Send it
through.
Keep going until your are close to the error.

If you can take the short cut, then get a freeware unicode aware program to
check your document. I use babelpad.

Open the document in Babelpad.
Tools>Document analysis

This will give you a line and position that is exact.

You can do this alot of ways, but these are my suggestions. I assume that
you have your encodings correct in your stylesheet for output UTF-8.

Mike Ferrando
Library Technician
Library of Congress
Washington, DC