From JBry...@s-s-t.com
Subject Re: Need info
Date Fri, 15 Apr 2005 15:50:59 GMT
I can think of three ways, each one successively more painful than the
previous:

1. Draw it in a drawing applications and pick it up with
fo:external-graphic.

2. Create an SVG.

3. Create a table.

More about doing this as a table. Provided your data is pretty simple, you
can create a bar chart by coloring cells in a largish table, thus:

-----------------
|   | |   | |   |
| X | |   | |   |
| X | |   | |   |
| X | |   | |   |
| X | |   | |   |
| X | |   | | X |
| X | |   | | X |
| X | | X | | X |
| X | | X | | X |
| X | | X | | X |
-----------------
(where X marks a cell you should color)

The table trick will very quickly become hard to implement if you have
much data or if you have fine gradation within the data (for example,
where the difference between 88% and 89% matters).

This kind of thing is called a "text illustration" and comes from the days
when technical writers had nothing but typewriters (just before my time -
I got started with the first generation of word processing software,
fortunately for me). Some of those old text illustrations were quite
effective. A good grasp of the data and what needs to be communicated goes
a long way, regardless of how spiffy the end result appears.

(By the way, I've drawn boundaries here to show the table structure.
However, graphics should generally minimize boundaries - reducing what
Edward Tufte calls "chart junk" - and focus on the data. Of course, Tufte
would also tell you that a bar chart is a pretty poor means of presenting
data and that a good table would work better. But now we are off on a
whole 'nother subject: information design, which fascinates me but isn't
on topic here.)

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services

"Seshamma Venkata C" <seshamma@renaissance-it.com>
04/15/2005 03:45 AM
Please respond to
fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org

<fop-user@xml.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Need info

Hello,

I am working with FOP and new to this.Can u please tell me how can i
create a bar chart using FOP.

Regards,
Seshamma
Sr.Software Engineer
Sobha Renaissance Information Technology Private Limited
An SEI-CMM & P-CMM Level 5 Company
World's 1st SSE-CMM Level 5 Company
BS 7799 certified by British Standards Institute
ISO 9001:2000 Certified by TÜV Rheinland/Berlin-Brandenburg
A Six Sigma Practice Company
Tel: + 91 80 51951999; Fax: + 91 80 51523300; Video Conference: + 91 80
51252222
Email :seshamma@renaissance-it.com; Web: www.renaissance-it.com

this in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies from any
computer.