From JBry...@s-s-t.com
Subject Re: representative example needed
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:02:32 GMT
> Thanks!  Success stories ([1] is my favorite)--as well
> as failures (honesty of its limitations also being
> helpful in increasing confidence in FOP)--are always
> welcome on this list.

Oh, you want success stories. That I can do.

I use FOP to produce all the documentation for a small software firm. I am
a consulting technical writer (though I have been programming at least
part time since 1987). I am responsible for creating documents both for
the company itself and for several customers (each of whom naturally wants
their own logos, legal wording, and so on). I use two primary stylesheets
with FOP: One to produce most of my conventional documents (user guides,
API guides, etc.) and another specifically for data dictionaries. The firm
specializes in data warehouses for the software industry, so each customer
needs a customized data dictionary. So far, the largest has been over 1600
pages in size, and FOP produces it in about 2 minutes.

By the way, I use Saxon to write the FO source, since I use a number of
XSLT 2 features. I also use Saxon to write the HTML versions of our
documents.

The only thing I really wish FOP had is better control over page breaks. I
use small tables to keep headings with their trailing paragraphs and
images with their captions. Other than that, I use an attribute in my five
levels of heading elements to force a page break (with break-before), so I
can make things look OK. Still, I wish it did better with keeps and breaks
in general. I gather that's the big problem that drove the creation of a
new branch and the current 1.0 effort. I've had to accept some other
limitations and fiddle with memory settings, but keeps and breaks have
been the only real limitation to date.

In sum, thanks for FOP! It makes me look good with my client and my
client's customers. I very much look forward to seeing future versions.

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services