From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: PDF->PS->PDF with EPS
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:59:04 GMT
Wouter,

FWIW, I would like to add that I've actually changed the graphics page
already (I haven't COMMITTED the changes so you won't see them on the
site yet). Please read the changes below, and help me make certain it
adequately addresses the issue. I'm posting the entire EPS section
below (the main addition is the new <warning> item toward the
bottom--does anything else need to be changed?):

<section id="eps">
   <title>EPS</title>
   <ul>
     <li>PostScript (full support).</li>
     <li>
       PDF (partial support). Due to the lack of a built-in PostScript
interpreter, FOP
       can only embed the EPS file into the PDF. Acrobat Reader will not
currently display
       the EPS (it doesn't have a PostScript interpreter, either) but it
will be shown
       correctly when you print the PDF on a PostScript-capable printer.
PostScript devices
       (including <link
href="http://www.ghostscript.com/">GhostScript</link>) will render the
EPS correctly.
     </li>
   </ul>
   <warning>When using <link
href="http://www.ghostscript.com/">GhostScript</link> to display inline
EPS, it has been <link
href="http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=108912901400002&r=1&w=2">reported
that more recent versions have problems rendering inline EPS</link>.
Therefore it is recommended to use <link
href="http://www.ghostscript.com/doc/gnu/gnu706.htm">Ghostscript
7.06</link>. If anyone has a solution to this problem, please send an
e-mail to the FOP-User <link
href="http://xml.apache.org/fop/maillist.html">mailing
list</link>.</warning>
     Other output targets can't be supported at the moment because
     FOP lacks a PostScript interpreter.
</section>

I would also like to add, that my reason for asking Wouter to create a
Bugzilla entry also deals with the fact that it would be nice to 'fix'
the underlying problem (not just document it! :-D), and if we don't
have a bugzilla report, it might not end up on our 'radar'...

Thanks in advance for reporting this and any help you can provide!

Web Maestro Clay