From Clay Leeds <cle...@medata.com>
Subject Re: line-height interpretation
Date Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:29:01 GMT
Adam,

On Jul 6, 2004, at 2:18 PM, Adam Augusta wrote:
> The 'line-height' property is supposed to specify the height of a text
> block as a multiple of the font size.  The spec* says that the user
> agent
> may pick a reasonable multiplier, recommended between 1 and 1.2.  I
> said
> "Forget that!  I want to my spacing to be deterministic, thank you very
> much.  What is this, CSS?"  So I specified my own spacing.
>
> *http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice7.html#line-height
>
> No matter what line height I pick, the engine seems to add 5pt plus a
> little more.  So if I pick 17pt, I get 22pt+, and if I pick 7pt, I get
> 12pt+.  The compliance page says that the property is fully
> implemented.
> So why am I getting this 5pt+ discrepancy?
>
> (Yes, line-height="1" gives the same result for me as
> line-height="14pt"
> with a 14pt font.  That is, 19pt+.  Setting force/minimum/maximum etc
> has
> no effect.)
>
> As you can see, I set the border, padding, and spacing to 0.

<snip what="xsl-fo_content"/>

> -Adam

I don't know if it makes a difference, but it may help to know what the
output target is (PDF? AWT? PS?) as well as the JVM/JDK. I've found
kerning differences in output between AWT (-awt & -print) vs. PDF, that
is affected (exacerbated?) by the version of the Java Virtual Machine.
I realize you are writing about line-height, but perhaps (hopefully?)
this may contribute to a workaround. In either case, perhaps we need to
update the /compliance.html...

Web Maestro Clay