From Jeremias Maerki <dev.jerem...@greenmail.ch>
Subject Re: EPS image printing problem
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:38:47 GMT

On 09.07.2004 16:27:00 Peter Gustafsson wrote:
> > Yep. What I don't get is why it doesn't work in GhostScript 8.x. I
> > though in earlier versions of AFPL GhostScript it worked. But then, we
> > may still do something wrong the way we embed EPS files. Maybe asking
> > the GhostScript people would also be an idea.
>
> I'm not acustumed to the development routine concerning fop but maybe this
> question should be forwarded to the development list??

Not necessary in this case, I think. All FOP developers listen into this
list anyway. If it comes to discussing implementation details we can
always switch over. In the meantime this is valuable information for FOP
users.

> Seams like there has been som changes in the standrard or something like
> that since both acrobat reader and ghostscript ignores the fop generated EPS
> files.

I've looked up the PDF 1.5 specification that Acrobat Reader 6 is based
on. In section 4.7 "External Objects" you find this:

> A PostScript XObject (Section 4.7.1, “PostScript XObjects”) contains a
> fragment of code expressed in the PostScript page description language.
> PostScript XObjects are no longer recommended to be used.

The second sentence wasn't there in PDF 1.4 which probably means that
Adobe removed the support for PostScript XObjects entirely.

Still doesn't explain why it doesn't work in GhostScript 8.x.

Jeremias Maerki