From "Fleetwood, Brett (SSABSA)" <bre...@ssabsa.sa.gov.au>
Subject RE: using multiple page sequences
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2004 03:02:09 GMT
Thanks for you response John, hopefully I can answer your questions. From
what I understand, we have a web-based application that uses Linux
Apache-Tomcat as the web-server to do the rendering. This is a decent
machine and we have allocated extra memory (approx 1Gb) but being a web-app
possibly many users can request data to be rendered into PDF at the same
time therefore I need to keep things as small as possible. I'm not sure
throwing more resources at it will ultimately fix it, I think that the
actual XSL needs to change or possibly use a different rendorer.

Has anyone had experience in setting up a machine to solely perform
transformations?

-----Original Message-----
From: John Austin [mailto:jwaustin@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Friday, 12 March 2004 1:01 PM
To: fop-user@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: using multiple page sequences

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 22:02, Fleetwood, Brett (SSABSA) wrote:
> Hi all,

Quick question: Have you increased the memory available to your JVM ?
If you are using the JVM default, your easiest solution might be to
increase the memory available. This depends on your system having enough
real memory to support it and varies by JVM vendor.

So what is your environment ?

OS, real memory available, Java Version ?

What is your command line used to invoke Fop ?

> I am having out of memory issues when transforming my FO -> PDF using
> fop-0.20.5rc2. I read that using multiple page sequences in the XSL and

There is a production release of 0.20.5

> therefore in the FO means that fop will release some memory. I don't see
how
> I can do this. My XML file is generated dynamically from a database so I
> don't know how big it will be. Is there any solutions I can use that uses
> multiple page sequences or possible change the xml structure, if not is
> there another FOP transformer that isn't as memory intensive. Thanks in
> advanced for any help. If I havn't provided enough info please ask and I
can
> get back to you.

See above
--