From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Development Task and Priorities (was Re: Print on demand using FOP)
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 14:34:33 GMT
Mike Brodbelt wrote:

<snip/>

> Yes please :-). One problem at the moment is that the website (which is
> excellent, on the whole) has no reference to a development timeline, and
> a new user will notice that the last release was 9 months ago, and
> wonders what's happening. Admittedly, a bit of additional searching will
> take them to the mailing list archives, but one has to do a lot of
> reading to build up a picture of the current state of play.

Timelines are a concept that dont fit with the open source development
model. In the commercial world, employees can be allocated work and
expected to complete it within a time frame. In open source, there are
no "employees", so work is completed in an adhoc fashion.

Anyway, Ive added the list of layout todo tasks at the bottom of the
Design/layout page. There used to be an overall status page, but Victor
broke it up and put status sections into the related sub-system page.

I have updated the xml docs in CVS, but I'm not sure how to tell
forrestbot about this change. Does anyone know if forrestbot just picks
up the changes automatically? I seem to remember Victor saying something
about needing to do some sort of "update" before changes got included
onto the live site.

>>Of course, priorities are just my opinion, but I think we need to do all
>>the highs in order to do an initial release, 0.5.0?
>

> Speaking only for myself here, but I'd be *very* happy to see a release
> with all the high stuff implemented. I think that it would basically fix
> all my current problems with FOP, and would probably satisfy 90%+ of
> users. Frankly, FOP 0.20.5 is pretty good, and if I could have the
> feature set that it offers with keeps, that would solve most of my problems.

I'm glad you agree.

Chris